Thursday, May 19, 2011

Focus 101

Focus - 2: to cause to be concentrated (their attention on the most urgent problems)
             3: to concentrate attentionor effort

Now this is something I have trouble with. I don't remember having such a problem in years past, perhaps because I had always worked a nine-to-five job which was scheduled for me. I didn't have to focus so much as just follow the schedule. Now I am in business for myself and it's not going so well for me because no one schedules my time anymore. I have to do that for myself. You would think that someone as organized as I feel I am would not have such a struggle, just organize time. But time is not the same as a concrete or tangible item. You can't sort time like you can paper clips or file folders. But you can lose it, squander it, waste it or fill it any way imaginable.
Right now I have my meeting study items open on the island (partially studied), a new Quickbooks account almost set up on my computer, lunch waiting for me in the microwave, laundry in the dryer waiting to be folded and tracked-in who-knows-what on the area rug waiting to be vacuumed. I set up the shelves for the patio bakers-rack but not the matching cafe table top. And now I'm writing this. I have been flitting from one to the other all afternoon. At the end of the day I will be exhausted from doing so much but not feeling like I accomplished anything. I need to focus!!

I'm thinking about starting a new method of making a list. At least for now. I think I will list what I HAVE done rather than what I should do. Making a list of what I need to accomplish just reminds me of how I have fallen short for the day because I always put way too much on the list. At the end of the day I may have done 6 out of 10 things but left 4 undone and that is what screems at me. Maybe if I list what I accomplished, at least until I can free up some grey-matter between my ears, I can focus on positives. Of course my memory is not what it used to be but maybe that will also improve as my mental state de-clutters and comes into focus.

Let me go and eat lunch, finish studying for tonights meeting and not go back onto the deck for a bit. Then after the meeting I can finish up my Quickbooks project so I can get back to working for someone else.

1 comment:

  1. You go girl, I know you rock, you just are looking at all the failures and not the positives. You try to focus on too many things at once, and I agree, I also put too many things on my list for the day and feel I failed if they are not all accomplished. So try putting one thing on the list a day and make a weeks list with only one different thing a day, so that way you can check off your accomplished thing each day. and if you get more than one thing done that day, your are certainly a winner.

    ReplyDelete