Friday, May 20, 2011

Goal

A goal is a dream with a due date attached. If you don't put a date on your goals they are no more than dreams. I am working on figuring out my goals. You would think that as a servant of Jehovah my goals would be preset. But that's not necessarily so. Yes of course I want to live forever with my family in paradise, but that really isn't a goal since a gift can't really be a goal. The goal would be on the givers end, right? As for me, I need to figure out if, say pioneering is really my goal, or finding a job to help ease the financial stresses we are under, or building my online retail business, or finishing the wedding quilt which is 5 years behind schedule, or cleaning out the attic. Some goals may seem small and unimportant. But I guess it depends on who is looking. Today out in service the sister I was working with told me what an encouragement I was to her. I love this sister and enjoy being with her but I felt blank as far as being in service went. Almost as if I have built a thick wall around my spiritual heart. I have to figure out how to break down that wall. actually I already KNOW how to break it down. I just have to do it. Make it a goal. Put a date to it.
The dictionary defines a goal as the end toward which effort is directed. If I focus and put a date to my desired end-result then I will fall in love with the ministry. A calendar is an excellent tool in this case. I just wrote on my calendar, with a red sharpie, "Finish 2011 Yearbook" on May 31st. My first new goal. I know it may seem like a small thing but it is a start. After that maybe I'll put a date for reading each book of the Bible and for cleaning the attic. (Although Mike won't want the attic to wait that long!)
I have scheduled a job interview for this coming Tuesday and once I start working I will get into my regret-that-I-wasted-the-past-two-years-of-unemployment mode. It's a vicious cycle.
Time to focus on the tasks on my desk so that I can clear away some clutter and set some goals.

No comments:

Post a Comment